The post-game tradition can be quite a tricky skill to master. Most team's scramble to come up with something more creative than the generic "Good Game [Team Name]", but end up spit-balling ridiculously bad ideas for 10 minutes until settling on terrible wordplay before the other team carts off to their next game.
If this sounds like you, here's a guide to save you from that distress.
Draw UP a Limerick
Consider where the team is from, what the "mascot" is, or something special about their uniforms/costumes. From there, plug in some ultimate terms or specific situations that happened during the game to come up with a totally original and awesome cheer. For a little more help, here's a list of words that rhyme with popular ultimate terms:
- Bid - did, kid, hid, slid, squid, eyelid, Madrid, grandkid
- Layout - when in doubt, pout, about, sprout, shout
- Huck - duck, buck, chuck, shuck, stuck, truck, schmuck, luck, suck, puck, cluck, thunderstruck
- Flick - brick, chick, quick, thick, trick, stick, Nick, slick, tick, kick, lunatic
- Mark - bark, hark, Clark, dark, shark, spark, stark, park, aardvark, monarch, Bismarck
- Block - shock, croc, dock, jock, rock, flock, hawk, sock, stalk, walk, talk, mock, lock, knock, Bangkok, chalk, Sherlock, wedlock, smock, Johann Sebastian Bach
- Score - store, door, for, snore, pour, four, bore, roar, floor, wore, tore, Al Gore, chore, war, shore, adore, before, indoor, boar, albacore, matador, labrador, herbivore
- Dump - bump, grump, chump, slump, stump, thump, rump, pump, hump, jump, Donald Trump, Heffalump, bungee jump
- Dance - prance, trance, ants, pants, plants, chance, France, romance, perchance
Write An Original Song
Come up with a song on your drive down that you can sing to all your opponents by adapting a few words for each team. It's easiest and best received when it's a parody of a popular song, but if you're inspired, feel free to come up with your own tune too! Be careful not to come up with a cheer for yourselves! While it's fun to chant on the sideline, presenting your opponents with a self-congratulatory cheer about how great you are, isn't very SOTG-y.
Before your tournament, put together a list of original go-to cheers to have in your back pocket. Add an action or dance at the end of your cheer specific to the team to give it some extra umph! But please, come up with something original! Avoid these generic clichéd cheers at all cost:
- Peanut butter, peanut butter. Crunch, crunch, crunch. We enjoyed playing you a bunch, bunch, bunch. Go [team name]!
- 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate? [Team name]
- Toothpaste, toothpaste. We like Crest. We think your team is the best. Go [team name]!
You can do better.
Rely on Puns (if all else fails)
Here in ultimate land, we love our puns. Five has worked with dozens of teams that manage to fit ultimate terms like "disc" or "huck" into their team name, where the Pun Police would insist they do not belong. To name a few:
- Bidness Time
- Discie Chicks
- Game of Throws
- Hammer Time
- Hucking Fooligans
- Love Handlers
- Mighty Hucks
- Princess Layout
Heck, there are teams with names that are puns on other team names (Dragon Trust, Ironsighed)! If ultimate were a religion, puns would be the gospel.
Embrace your natural tendency as an ultimate player to pun it up! Just don't waste too much time trying to force a pun if one doesn't crop up naturally.
Whatever you decide on, make sure your whole team knows what you're doing, perform with confidence, and proceed to dance aggressively. No matter how bad your cheer was, a dance party will always send your opponents off with good vibes!